So I am a huge Legend of Zelda fanatic. I have played every title except for the Wii console only because I don’t have the Wii. Either way, as your Geeky Fluffy Chef, I bring you something that I have tried myself, and have read up on other people trying at home. This will vary in the ways that other people have their recipes done.
So, those who have played the Legend of Zelda series, Chu Jelly is not a stranger to you. But for those who haven’t played, Chu Jelly is the edible bottle item in some newer Zelda titles. You get the jelly by defeating Chus, a blobish enemy that usually hangs out in dark damp areas like caves and dungeons. Different color Chu Jellies do different things, but typically they restore Link’s magic or health.
So the one thing that you would need for this are glass bottles. Now, you can buy these in different locations, or you can use a bowl instead.
- 3 cups fruit juice (apple juice may make this more transparent!)
- 1 cup water (There are some recipes that say to use tonic water. I thought it was a bit bitter, but tonic water will make the jelly glow in a black light according to the other resources)
- Food dyes (the colors of the Chu Jelly you want to emulate)
- 4 packets gelatin
- 1 Tsp honey or other sweetener (optional)
- A glass pitcher or funnel
So, remember that safety is first. So kids, please ask your parents to help you if you want to do this by yourself!
- Combine your juice and water in a saucepan, bring it up to a boil. If you’re adding the sweetener add it as the water/juice is boiling.
- Once the combination has been brought to a boil, slowly stir in the gelatin; don’t add to much at one time or it may clump up.
- Pour the hot liquid into a pitcher; from there you can add it to your glass bottles directly using a funnel. (Remember, safety first!)
- Add a few drops of the food coloring you want for that particular bottle. Stir until the color is throughout the bottle. Once it looks right, place them in the fridge for about 2-3 hours! When it cools, it will become a more jelly like state.
Come back for my next post: the secret recipe on how to make your own Sea Salt Ice Cream from Kingdom Hearts!